Friday, November 28, 2008

Sofia Starbucks


Coincidentally the first Starbucks opened in Sofia yesterday, the same day I did my presentation on brands and commodity fetishism. I have mixed feelings about this venture. On one hand, it is probably good to have one Starbucks for those in search of the familiar when in Sofia, but at the same time this is why people travel, to try something new. Bulgarian coffee houses are loud, smoky, usually the patrons all know each other as they are all from the local neighborhood. And the coffee is pretty much the same, a black short espresso. I remember when I was in Sofia with my friend Stu and she ordered a coffee with whipping cream, at my neighborhood coffee place. It didn't resemble a Starbucks order but it was a little more particular than your usual black short espresso. The lady behind the counter turned around and looked at Stu very puzzled and said: What’s the point? For those of you who read Bulgarian, here is the article:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

best coffee in all of europe...
you know I am kidding. lovek

10:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would take the patio, strange iced coffees and suspicious looks from baristas with a smoke in hand any day. lovek

11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Miss Biliana said...

Porcelain or paper? Remember that question? I find it very sweet.

2:33 p.m.  
Blogger stu marvel said...

those were fine mornings on the dog-pack-filled streets of sofia but as IF i was the one ordering coffee with lashings of whipped cream. this from the girl who orders an extra side of hollandaise to go with her bucket of hot butter!

12:17 p.m.  
Blogger Miss Biliana said...

Haha, I was sure YOU asked for it but in retrospect, it does seem like something I will order. I do love my butter and cream. And cream puffs.

3:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boring,boring stabucks,nothing special about.Do we need it in Bg-to?

7:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home