Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Rain Variations


You are cordially invited to visit Capilano College Gallery where I am exhibiting a new series of drawings entitled "Rain Variations". The exhibition runs from January 7 to February 1, 2008.
The gallery hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Studio Art Building, Capilano College, 2055 Purcell Way, North Vancouver

Rain Variations

This series of drawings explores the ephemeral relationship between the rain and the medium of watercolour. Although it is a departure from my research interests, I enjoyed experimenting and working in the medium that first made me interested in art. The individual pieces are separate visual poems, each one recording a specific time of the day on which it rained. The process was very simple, I left them out in the rain and depending on the size and speed of the raindrops, different formations occurred in the watercolour washes. It was a very enjoyable process, in which I felt I was collaborating with nature and the results are very surprising and not manipulated.

Biliana

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

Looks lovely. great idea to have rain as the subject and then also to interact with it, it is such a huge part of life over there. Not that I miss it, but sometimes when the rain is ticking on the eaves I get all nostalgic...Hope to see more of these paintings...

7:43 a.m.  
Blogger Miss Biliana said...

Thank you Marusya! Yes, I know what you mean about the sound of the rain, I do miss it when I have not heard it for awhile but not terribly! I will always be a southern soul. But by doing this project I was able to really escape the negativity of the rain and actually hope for it since it produced art. I am posting more photos of the work.

6:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home