Friday, June 01, 2007

Summer Plans




I believe I have finally finalized my summer vacation plans. Most of it is family obligations and visits with friends but I have decided to pepper it with some destinations I have never visited before. I leave for Sofia on July 22 and after a short stay in Düsseldorf, I arrive the next day. I believe my uncle has it planned that we leave the very next day on the dusty roads (he likes to take the small Bulgarian back roads) to the Black Sea. We are planning to stay in a place near Bijala, which apparently hasn't been hit by the massive development of the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. As a friend of mine here calls it " a Las Vegas made out of paper mache.” We are staying there two or three days and on the way back to Sofia, I hope to talk my uncle into making a detour North to the village where my father was born. It is called Slana Bara, and it very close to the Danube River in Northeast Bulgaria. I haven't visited the tiny village since I was probably 7 years old and there isn't anyone I know there as both of his parents have long passed away but I have an urge to go. I have never had it in my previous visits to Bulgaria. Back in Sofia, I am hoping to catch up with friends and celebrate my grandmother’s 80th birthday who is spending the entire summer there. I am planning an outdoor feast for her in my uncle's house, a Martha inspired dinner with tapas, sweet and heavy Bulgarian wine and lots of seasonal fruit, which is so great there. By the following week we will all be getting on eachother's nerves, as we are all dramatic in my family so I planned a little getaway to Venice. I leave on August 2nd and fly back on August 5th. It is probably all I can afford anyway but I am especially excited to visit the Venice Biennale. Back in Sofia, I fly out on August 7th and spend the night in charming Düsseldorf (apparently the have excellent gewürztraminer) and arrive in Vancouver the following day. Ugh, that was exosting just writing about it. Do you think it is a crazy plan? Am I trying to cram too much into this itinerary? Any suggestions where to go while visiting these designations? Your input is very much appreciated. There might be a little flowing gondola souvenir pen or a wooden vial of rose oil in it for you. PS. Can you guess which place is which?

1 Comments:

Blogger Crissy said...

Ooh, Venice - nice! I've yet to visit there ... but I'm sure it is super cool. Well, likely far too many tourists - but still cool. :)

Have a GREAT trip - I bet you can't wait!

10:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home