Thursday, May 24, 2007

Happy Alphabet Day! Chestit 24ti Mai!


In true ironic form, I am unable to find the Cyrillic alphabet on my work computer to wish everyone "Happy Alphabet Day!". It is a huge celebration in Bulgaria marking the invention of the Cyrillic Alphabet by the two brothers Cyril and Methodius. Pretty neat, ha? I wish I can find the photo of my grade school, where we all had to wear giant paper letters on our heads and sing hymns praising the brothers. I aways wanted to be "B" of course.
On another literary note, coincidentally tonight I am going to the book launch of a friend of mine Marusya Bociurkiw. Her new book Comfort Food for Breakups is a lovely food memoir, filled with fantastic recipes, love stories and family recollections. I am actually mentioned in it as well...Marusya touches on my story of the giant tomatoes during the Chernobyl summer of 1986.
PS. I posted a picture of the Russian Alphabet, as I couldn't find a better image, it is not that much different, give or take a letter or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home